Tension headache may be simply defined as a headache brought about by the stresses and strains that life can and will throw at you. Tension headache therefore can be looked upon as a wake-up call, coming from your body, that all is not well and that it is time for you to do something about it. Tension headache is a red light. Stress is one of the greatest risk factors for heart attack or stroke and this headache is telling you that so you do need to listen.
What are some of the features of tension headache?
- Usually described as mild to moderate in severity – dull aching head pain.
- Often a sensation of tightness or pressure across the forehead or on the side or back of the head.
- Often a sensation of tenderness to touch the sides of the forehead, scalp, neck or shoulder muscles. A feeling that a gentle massage is required.
What are the best treatments for tension headache?
In the short term the best treatments for tension headache are
- Over the counter analgesics like aspirin, paracetamol, codeine or isobrufren.
- Sedatives such as diazepam can be very useful for relaxing muscular tension and relieving the tension and stress.
In the long term the best treatments for tension headache are:
- Being able to recognise what it is in your life that is causing you such stress and then being able to permanently remove these stressors form you life altogether regardless of what it takes to do this.
- Hypnotherapy to help you to deal with your life stressors such that they no longer cause you pain.
- Psychotherapy to help you to better come to terms with your stressors.
If you are worried that the headaches that you have been having are stress related and are not sure as to how you can relieve them then we are here to help you.
Our online medical consultation facility is fast and affordable, private and safe. It is also incredibly stress free. It starts with a free medical assessment right here and now.